Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: duplex within bass horn-A6 of 1945

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Huh! I didn't notice this discrepancy earlier, but I found the scaled dims from back during the previous thread where I made it ~52" high, so.........

    GM

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I finally made it out to visit my 110 cabinet. Looking it over, I'm pretty confident that it was part of an A5. I found it still has the very short board along the front edge, just as the picture shows. Furthermore, I find a shadow from the horn sled. I measured the horn, and found that the measurements vary a little depending on where the measurements are taken.

    35 1/2" deep.... this was the easiest measurement.

    52 3/32" tall.... it varied by about a 16th or so.

    49 9/16" wide.... varied by about a 16th or so.

    The horn was about 30", but I could be wrong, as I didn't write it down.

    The clearance for a driver varied the most, and I'm not sure why. At one point is was only 11.25", but at another point is was almost 11.75"...... How "tall" is a Duplex?

    I noticed that mice have had meals inside. That didn't make me happy. I'll have to take the shop vac, and a couple of extension cords.... no power in the building! Even without the mice, that cabinet is filthy, as it spent time in a barn before I got it. If I can ever put it to use, I think I'm going to go at it with a bucket of soapy water, a brush, and a hose!

    Does plywood expand more in one direction than the other? Do the plys all go the same direction, or are some layers off by 90 degrees?

  3. #23
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the dims.

    The std cutout's 11-1/16", and on a small-frame, the bolt circle's only 11-5/8". A large frame sould cover OK.

    Ply doesn't swell much before it rots or delaminates, and the grain is alternated. If you're concerned about washing 'em down, don't be, just take the leaf blower to them when you're done.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    The std cutout's 11-1/16", and on a small-frame, the bolt circle's only 11-5/8".
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, that's not what I meant..... I was measuring the distance from the driver baffle to the back of the cabinet. Earlier in the thread the clearance available for the Duplex was brought up. I used the word "tall" because when sitting on a table face down, the dimension needed would be the height. You were supposed to read my mind forums

    Ply doesn't swell much before it rots or delaminates, and the grain is alternated. If you're concerned about washing 'em down, don't be, just take the leaf blower to them when you're done.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hadn't thought about a leaf blower.... and I actually used one quite a bit today. Normally, I'd probably use a box fan. Good to know the plywood should be stable. It does have large solid wood bracing inside. Kind of looks like oak, but it's so dirty that I'm not sure. I suppose warping of either the plywood or braces would require much longer exposure to water? I often get stuff wet that normal people know not to..... my secret to not damaging things is to not let the water sit. Wood however tends to absorb water where other materials don't.

    Actually, what prompted my question about the structure of plywood was the varying measurements over different areas. The garage gets quite humid. I thought maybe the plywood would expand in one direction more so than the other.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.